Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

This book is the follow up to "Shadow of the Wind" but it actually is set just before "Shadow". You will see many of the same places (The cemetery of forgotten books) and people (The Semperes), and, like Shadow of the Wind, it is set in Barcelona. The Angel's Game was an entertaining and fast read. It was gripping from the beginning and made me want to continue until the end to find out what exactly was happening. I finished it in two days. My only problem with the book is that you never really understand what happens - the ending was quite twisted and confusing and left me feeling unfulfilled. In fact, I don't understand the last few pages at all! What happened?!? Who or what is Corelli? Who was killing everyone?

I won't go in to much detail about the The Angel's Game because I feel that more than a little information may ruin the book for you. In brief, this book is about a writer, David, who is trying to find his way and eventually gets offered a lucrative, yet suspicious, offer from a mysterious French book publisher. As David begins to write the book he notices that something strange is happening, that there is a connection between himself, his book, and the home in which he lives.

Read the book and enjoy it, but it does not have a nice, clean ending like Shadow of the Wind did. Maybe there will be a sequel to this book which answers all the questions... one can only hope!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it! Lots of ppl didn't because the ending was so strange - but I did enjoy it! I can't wait for the next one he writes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, it was good but I really don't understand the ending. What is your interpretation??

    ReplyDelete